SCHEME OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR STRENGTHENING EDUCATION IN HUMAN VALUES
Government of India
Ministry of Human Resource Development
Department of Secondary and Higher Education
SCHEME OF FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR
STRENGTHENING EDUCATION IN HUMAN VALUES
Background of the Scheme
1. The National Policy on Education (NPE) 1986, as revised in 1992 and its Programmes of Action (POA) 1992 which are approved by the Parliament identify the goals of educational development and the strategies adopted for achieving these goals.
2. Education about India’s common cultural heritage has been identified in para 3.4 of National Policy on Education as one of the core areas under the National System of Education. The common core will include the history of India’s freedom movement, the constitutional obligations and other content essential to nurture national identity. These elements will cut across subject areas and will be designed to promote values such as India’s common cultural heritage, egalitarianism, democracy and secularism, equality of the sexes, protection of the environment, removal of social barriers, observance of the small family norm and inculcation of the scientific temper.
3. While spelling out the cultural perspective in education, the Policy (para 8.1) has stressed on the need to bridge the schism between the formal system of education and India’s rich and varied cultural traditions. In para 8.2, the Policy has called for enriching the curricula and processes of education in as many manifestations as possible.
4. The National Policy on Education (para 8.4 and 8.5) has laid considerable emphasis on value education by highlighting the need to make education a forceful tool for cultivation of social and moral values. The Policy 3 has stated that in our culturally plural society, education should foster universal and eternal values, oriented towards the unity and integration of our people. The policy has mentioned that such value education should help eliminate obscurantism, religious fanaticism, violence, superstition and fatalism.
5. The Policy in para 3.10 has stipulated that the nation as a whole will assume the responsibility of providing resource support for implementing the programme of educational transformation.